Grassland Bird and Pollinator Vegetation Field Technician
Location: South Texas
Duration: Approximately 6-8 weeks, April 1 –May 31, 2020
Job Type: Temporary Position
Application Deadline: Until Filled
Salary: Monthly salary $2000, plus mileage and housing while in the field
Field technician will conduct vegetation surveys at grassland restoration sites on private land in 10 counties of the South Texas Plains ecoregion. Purpose is to evaluate the effect of grassland restoration management practices applied to degraded grasslands due to poor management. The goal of the restoration program is to enhance the habitat and usable space for grassland birds and pollinators.
1. Conduct vegetation surveys along randomly established transects inside treatment areas following Integrated Monarch Monitoring Program monitoring protocols.
2. Document the presence of grassland birds and pollinators encountered while running the vegetation transects.
3. Data entry, proofreading and database management.
4. Analysis of dataset collected to date.
5. Submit a final report of activities.
Candidates located in the South Texas Plains ecoregion preferred. Selected candidate will be expected to work long hours in relatively difficult field conditions (e.g., high temperatures, humidity, sun, insects, thorny vegetation, etc).
· Housing while in the field will be provided and may include ranch bunkhouses and or hotels. Field technician should be flexible about housing options available at the time.
· Personal vehicle is required. Technician must be willing to drive a personal vehicle to and from field sites. Vehicles should be in good condition and able to handle dirt/gravel roads sometimes in difficult condition depending on weather. Mileage will be reimbursed at $0.57/mile.
· Excellent south Texas plant ID skills, especially forbs and grasses
· Demonstrated ability to follow established vegetation monitoring protocols
· Experience with identification of pollinators and south Texas birds, especially grassland birds
· Demonstrated ability to work independently
· Excellent GPS, navigational abilities
· Meticulous data collection skills
· Demonstrated ability to work with spreadsheets and to proofread documents
· Demonstrated ability to apply standard statistical methods to data sets
· Demonstrated ability to write technical reports.
· Good inter-personal skills
· Valid driver’s license
· Must be 18 years old or older and eligible to work in the U.S.
Your application was submitted successfully.