American Bird Conservancy
Title: Membership Manager
Supervisor: Vice President for Development
Location: Washington, DC or The Plains, VA
Submission Deadline: August 31, 2019
This is a full-time position with American Bird Conservancy (ABC) in Washington, D.C. or The Plains, Virginia. The Membership Manger works closely with the Vice President for Development to run ABC’s membership program. ABC members are individuals who share a passion for bird conservation across the Americas. The Membership Manager’s principal responsibilities are: 1) to help implement and improve membership acquisitions, renewals, and special appeals; 2) to ensure Gold Standard processing of donations and acknowledgment of donations; 3) to develop, update and manage annual membership analyses; 4) to manage the membership database, ensure accuracy of data, run reports, and train staff; and 5) to manage all online fundraising, including fundraising email campaigns, social media solicitations, and donation webpages across the organization. The Membership Manager supervises the Membership Coordinator, and works closely with all ABC Development staff.
The Membership Manager should be current with non-profit strategies for individual member acquisition and retention through direct mail and online channels. The Membership Manager should be an organized, detail-oriented, analytical, and deadline-driven person who desires a career in conservation fundraising and data management. This position requires CRM experience, computer proficiency, excellent organizational and writing skills, a data-driven mindset, and willingness to quickly learn and adopt ABC programs and structures. They are in regular contact, in person and by telephone and email correspondence, with ABC staff, members, vendors, and potential and existing donors. This work requires initiative, flexibility, accuracy, and attention to detail.
1. Develop, implement and update ABC’s annual direct mail membership and online fundraising plans in coordination with the Vice President of Development.
2. Increase revenue generated by general membership by working with Communications on online fundraising, encouraging renewal upgrades and maintaining a 75% or better membership renewal rate.
3. Supervise the Membership Coordinator by delivering high quality service to members and ensuring that all gift entry and acknowledging/receipting is completed accurately and quickly.
4. Maintain and manage ABC’s development database.
5. Work closely with major gifts staff to identify, target and upgrade members to higher giving levels.
6. Help develop and produce special appeal mailings to ABC donors in coordination with the Vice President for Development.
7. Develop, update, and manage annual budgets for ABC’s membership program.
8. Support the Development Team with special appeals, both in direct mail and digital fundraising.
9. Manage all online fundraising, including email campaigns, social media solicitations, and webpage campaign and donation pages.
10. Assist with other projects as needed.
1. Bachelor’s degree and at least five years of experience in fundraising, membership, customer service or related work or combination of equivalent education and experience.
2. Proven track record of achieving revenue targets; database management and analysis.
3. Proficiency with Salsa, or other Customer Relationship Management (CRM) programs, online fundraising, social media, and other related IT skills.
4. Ability to work with outside vendors including mailing houses, suppliers, and premium vendors.
5. Ability to work independently, efficiently, and accurately, in a deadline-oriented position.
6. Ability to work with a wide range of people and maintain a sense of humor.
7. Excellent communications (including writing and in-person) and organizational skills.
8. Ability to travel to both Washington, D.C. and The Plains, VA.
9. Dedication to American Bird Conservancy’s conservation mission.